National Residue Control Plan (NRCP) is a statutory requirement for exporting to EU countries. Under NRCP, definite sampling schedule and sampling strategies are drawn every year for monitoring the residues of substances like Antibacterial/Veterinary Medicinal Products and environmental contaminants. Samples are collected from aquaculture farms, processing plants, hatcheries and feed-mills of different maritime states and tested for the presence of any residue/contaminant of following substances:
Group A - Substances having anabolic effect and unauthorized substances:
- Stilbenes (Diethyl stilbesterol)
- Steroids (Estradiol & Progesterone)
- Chloramphenicol, Nitrofurans and Nitroimidazoles (compounds included in Annex IV to Council Regulation (EEC) No.2377/90)
Group B - Veterinary drugs and Environmental contaminants:
- Antibacterial substances: Tetracyclines with 4-Epimers, Sulphonomides, Quinolones/Fluro-quinolones,
- Other Veterinary drugs: Anthelmintics (Ivermectin/Emamectin)
- Environmental contaminants:
- Organo-chlorine compounds including DDT, BHC Isomers, Aldrin, Dieldrin, Heptachlor, Chlordane, Endrine, HCB.
- Poly-chlorinated By-phenyls(PCBs) & Dioxin like PCBs.
- Chemical Elements: Hg, Cd, As, Pb
- Mycotoxin – Aflatoxin B1 & B2.
- Dyes –Malachite green & Leuco-malachite green.
Following are the other residue monitoring/control programmes undertaken by MPEDA QC Laboratories:
- Monitoring of Pesticide Residues at National Level (MPRNL):- This is ongoing project funded by Dept. of Agriculture (MoA). The samples of inland fishes and crustaceans and marine crustaceans from all the maritime states are analysed for organo-chlorine pesticide residues.
- Monitoring of Cadmium content in Cephalopods:- The cephalopods (cuttle-fish/squid/octopus) caught along the West and East coasts of India are tested for monitoring the levels of Cadmium content by MPEDA,QC Laboratory (Kochi)
- Monitoring of radio nuclides in fishes:- Samples are collected from different regions and forwarded to BARC,Mumbai, for the analysis of radio nuclides.
- Testing of commercial samples (including samples from ELISA Laboratories): - for residues/contaminants listed under Group A Group B above.
- Testing of Ethoxyquin:-Feed samples collected by Regional /Sub Regional Centres of MPEDA are being analysed by MPEDA,QC Laboratory (Kochi)